Scrap Wood OR Nice Rustic Pine Mantel?

IMAG0524

This ‘rustic’ pine mantel is by no means, what Mr. Trashfinds considers a good representation of his ability or the quality of his work.  Or, as he put it, “Geez, I just slapped it together with scrap wood”.   The shelf/mantel was made per last minute request of a family member who had just moved into a place in mid-December and wanted something up for Christmas, but not necessarily permanent.  In less than two hours, from start to finish, Mr. Trashfinds had the mantel made and anchored into the brick.   To the average, non-woodworker or carpenter (at least myself) that’s a little impressive.  Heck, if I were looking for something like this, even I wouldn’t bat an eye if the minimum price was $100 (I won’t even pay that for a large appliance.  Read about it here).  While I look at the above pictures and see a cool, rustic-looking, surprisingly light-weight pine mantel, Mr. Trashfinds sees a slapped together from burn pile wood shelf that, while passable, he wouldn’t consider it ‘nice’ woodworking on his part.

The mantel is made from untreated pine logs that still had bark on them, pulled from my father-in-law’s burn pile.  BURN PILE.  You can imagine what the logs he considers to be ‘keepers’ looks like.  He is a small, local supplier of wood, and buys logs from various sources within his area, yet never needs to cut trees down or have them cut just in order to acquire them.  I’ve always appreciated wood for it’s many variations and natural beauty, but until recently, I had no idea what it took to turn a log into boards or workable wood. How and when a log is sawed, dried or planed has such a profound effect on what it looks like, and whether the character of it’s natural beauty surfaces.

IMAG0527                              mantel

 

Whenever I see this mantel, it brings to mind all the nice, solid wood pieces of furniture we’ve found and continue to find at the curb.  Mr. Trashfinds and I may have a difference of opinion on furniture in terms of what we consider ‘nice’, but I’m glad we both agree that 99% of it is still usable as is or with a minimal amount of reworking.  For now, we disagree on the other 1% – mainly because of the work involved with making something from all the bits and pieces.

How about you?  What’s something you often find that you can easily fix or use?


 

 

This entry was posted in trash picking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Scrap Wood OR Nice Rustic Pine Mantel?

  1. tess says:

    beautiful work, looks stunning!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>